Monday, June 13, 2011

Kale chips





I've been looking all over for kale so that I could make these baked chips. It's one hard vegetable to come by in these parts, so I was thrilled to stumble across a basketful at the farmers market recently. I picked out a few bunches of both the purple and green variety and when I pulled them out of my grocery bag at home, I  was pleased to discover this little fellow hiding amongst the leaves.



At least I know that the little guy was only hanging around because the organic kale wasn't doused in pesticides - which means if it's good enough for him, it's great for me.

These chips are probably not the healthiest way to enjoy the leafy green, but it's definitely the tastiest and better than snacking on a packet of potato chips.


The chips are best eaten fresh out of the oven, when the crispness is at its peak. I tweaked the original recipe by using lemon juice, as opposed to zest, and added a sprinkle of paprika.

Kale chips

A bunch of kale
A splash of extra virgin olive oil
A squeeze of lemon juice
Salt and pepper 
Paprika




Preheat the over to 130 degrees celsius
Remove the thick stalk-ends from the kale and chop the leaves into chip-size pieces. 
In a bowl, toss the kale leaves in the olive oil and lemon juice.
Spread out onto a baking tray covered in baking paper, before sprinkling with salt, pepper and paprika.

Bake in the oven for approximately half an hour, until the kale chips are light and crispy - but not burnt.


No comments: